Osteoporosis Screening – Recommendations and What to Expect
The National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) recommends a bone density test for people in the following categories:
- Women age 65 and older
- If you are over 50 and break a bone
- Women of menopausal age with risk factors
- Postmenopausal women under age 65 with risk factors
- Height loss of 1.5 inches or more than ½ within a year
- Spine X-rays show bone loss or breakages
- Back pain from possible breakages
Osteoporosis Screening – What to expect?
The only current screening test for diagnosing osteoporosis is a bone density test. This test usually takes less than 15 minutes, you stay dressed, and the tests are non-invasive and painless.