Contraceptive Counseling and Management Recommendations
The first step in quality contraceptive counseling is good communication. Specifically, of best strategies for pregnancy prevention. A successful working relationship between patient and doctor is based on trust. Thus allowing for the patient’s preferences to be used as a starting place for further plans.
There are multiple evidence based methods for pregnancy prevention, including: long acting reversible contraception, hormonal methods, barrier methods, fertility awareness methods, permanent methods, and emergency contraception.
Listed below are examples:
- Intrauterine Devices (IUD)
- Combined oral contraceptives
- Progestin only pills
- Hormonal vaginal contraceptive ring
- Diaphragm or cervical cap
- Female Condoms
- Understanding your monthly fertility patterns
- Emergency contraceptive pills
- Female sterilization-tubal ligation